Re: [RTTY] More on the KH6ZM mystery

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] More on the KH6ZM mystery
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:49:57 -0800
On Jan 11, 2011, at 10:13 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:

> I have him on 20 and 40 as KH6ZM.

I copied him on 15m and 40m as KH6ZM also, and more than once when I click on
him again.

Based on the waveform K2BB has recorded, I suspect there could be 4 answers
(two of which produces KH6ZM :-).

You can print him as 1) KH6Z if the character with the truncated bit is
squelched away, 2) print him as KH6ZN if the demodulator decoded the trailing
noise as a zero, 3) print him as KH6ZM if the demodulator decoded the trailing
noise as a one, or 4) his amplifier was cut off but somehow his exciter is not,
in which case, people who get really good signal to noise ratio from his
signal, will always print KH6ZM correctly.

If most of the west coast prints him as KH6ZM, then (4), unlikely as it might
me, may be the correct guess.

The recorded signal dropping is so very clean that there is almost no chance
that it is caused by propagation.

73
Chen, W7AY