Re: [RTTY] NAQP and keyboard/mouse

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NAQP and keyboard/mouse
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:15:59 -0800
On Feb 27, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Phil Cooper wrote:

> But, my problem with that is that my screen is not close enough to touch
> comfortably. I have two monitors, placed far enough away to allow me to see
> and register what is shown on both, ie, they are just about arm's length
> away.

Yep, I agree that a touch screen mounted like a regular display will not work
at all -- your arms get tired after a very short while.  Even though cavemen
have been drawing on the walls of caves, I guess humans never liked that
position for the arms.

You need something light like an iPad and with capacitive sensors (so you don't
have to exert any pressure to tire your arms either), where you can move it to
where you like it to be, rather than having to move your arms to point at where
the screen wants to be.

I believe I have seen an HP multi-touch display whose stand hinges so that the
surface of the display can be almost parallel with the desk.  That angle is
much better, but the display is too large to move around.  You need something
that you can place just beyond the keyboard, between the keyboard and the rig.
If I have time, I might come up with a GUI and rig up something like that to
try out at next year's Roundup.

Eventually, we will have large touch panels embedded in our tables so it will
be like using a paper and pencil again :-).  Wonder if Ikea will start selling
desks like that :-).

73
Chen, W7AY