Re: [RTTY] NA SPRINT RTTY

To: <kc4hw@centurytel.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>, "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NA SPRINT RTTY
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:03:27 -0700
Jim, KC4HW, wrote:
> Been trying to submit my log via the NCJ Cabrillo Log
> Submission web page, but can not seem to get pass the Step 1
> page.  The screen does present that "No Cabrillo format
> errors were found" but it does not go on to Step 2.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

For the benefit of others, the problem was that all but one CATEGORY-***:
*** lines were missing from the Cabrillo header, yet the NCJ web form
reported "no Cabrillo errors".  But, the form was still stuck on Step 1 (log
submittal) and did not proceed to Step 2 (confirmation page).  Adding the
missing CATEGORY-***: *** lines allowed the log to go through and get a
confirmation.

This Cabrillo file was created by WriteLog, so for WriteLog users, be sure
you fill in all the drop-down boxes in the Contest\Cabrillo window.  Each
one of those boxes results in a CATEGORY-***: *** line in the header of the
resulting Cabrillo file.  For example, in the Transmitter box, select
'Fixed' and the following line is added to the header:

CATEGORY-POWER: HIGH

For this contest, you can omit the Overlay box, since it doesn't apply and
is ignored.  If you do choose an item on the Overlay menu, a
CATEGORY-OVERLAY: ***  statement will be added to the Cabrillo header and go
through the web form and robot OK, but it will be ignored by the log check
software next weekend.

NOTE:  In my view, the problem here is that the NCJ web form didn't catch
the missing CATEGORY lines.  It reported that there were no Cabrillo errors
but didn't accept the log and issue a confirmation number.  I've asked that
this be addressed.  WriteLog is working correctly by not inserting some
default CATEGORY line because the user might not notice and submit the wrong
category.  By omitting the CATEGORY lines if the user does not fill in the
drop down boxes, the incomplete Cabrillo header can be flagged in the lob
submittal/robot process and alert the user as it (almost) did in this case.
;>)

73,
Ed - W0YK
NCJ NA RTTY Sprint Manager