Re: [RTTY] FSK and CAT via 1 serial port

To: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK and CAT via 1 serial port
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
I believe what you say is probably true about CAT using TxD.  And yes, FSK is
"traditionally" keyed on the TxD line of a serial port.  However, it can be
keyed on other lines as well depending what software you are using.  If you use
MMTTY, then you can also key FSK on DTR (and probably RTS but this is sometimes
not desireable because RTS is normally used for PTT but you can key PTT via
radio control on most radios and use RTS for FSK with MMTTY).
DTR traditionally is used to key CW.  So if you're new interface includes CW
keying on DTR, then you can build some sort of switch to move keying to either
the CW port or FSK port on your transceiver depending on what mode you are
using at the time.

In MMTTY, you can change the FSK keying line via ExtFsk (latest version is
ExtFsk106), which is a separate plug-in download to MMTTY and can be found on
the MMTTY site here:

http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmtty/ext-fsk.php

This should also work with most or all programs that use the MMTTY engine, such
as N1MM et al.  WriteLog, which uses a 3rd party MMTTY plug-in, also has
provisions for keying FSK via DTR along with software-generated through a
USB-to-serial adapter.

Having said all this, the simplest solution may be to purchase a USB-to-serial
port adapter and add another serial port to the computer.  You can then build a
simple transistor keying circuit for FSK or purchase a W3YY opto-isolated
interface and hang it off the adapter.  The choice is yours.

73, Don AA5AU