Re: [RTTY] NEW! The 10-Meter RTTY Contest

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NEW! The 10-Meter RTTY Contest
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
I whole heartily agree and a subject that should be discussed among us RTTY
contesters.  I always thought the ARRL should incorporate RTTY into their
10-Meter contest.  In the October 2007 rttycontesting.com, 63% of RTTY
contesters who took part in the survey felt RTTY should be part of the ARRL
10-Meter Contest.  After the survey, many who disagreed sent personal email
saying they felt it would somehow take away from the ARRL 10-Meter Contest and
liked it the way it is now.

I believe an effort to have RTTY included would encounter stiff opposition if
the proposal was to include RTTY in the Mixed Mode categories.  However, I
believe a more favorable approach would be to have RTTY included as a separate
mode category (RTTY only).  As far as I know, no one has approached the ARRL
about adding RTTY to the 10-Meter contest.  I thought about it but felt that in
order to have a RTTY contest on 10 meters this year, the only way would be to
have a new contest.

Another point that was brought up to me after the 2007 survey, was the
potential problem of sharing bandwidth with the CW stations.  I don't see a
problem here at all.   Even during peak years, RTTY operation could take place
from 28200-28300 and leave 28000-28200 for the CW stations.

Great stuff...

73, Don AA5AU