[RTTY] Dumb question about pileups

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Dumb question about pileups
From: David VE3VID <ve3vid@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:52:10 -0400
I've got a dumb question about RTTY pileups. The other day I was combing around
30m because the spotting network told me Sudan was calling. When I got there,
there were lots of stations spread out around the spotted freq all calling, but
I had no idea where the DX station was, or who they were working. It seemed a
little random. I must be missing something. Do they work split? I never found
the Sudan station signal.
How are RTTY DX pileups organized?  Do I just find an open spot and start
sending my call sign. Seems that's what everyone was doing, but I'd never know
if the DX station went QRT. Sorry if this sounds too basic, I'm pretty new to
RTTY, and never tried a pileup.

Thanks for any helpDavid
http://www.ve3vid.webs.com/