Re: [RTTY] ST0R RTTY Statistics

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ST0R RTTY Statistics
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with Doug that the ST0R operation was definitely RTTY-friendly.  Toward
the end they showed up on 12 and 40 meter RTTY (they did operate 12M RTTY early
for Europe).  The operation on 12 was very slow because signals were very weak
for the most part and the USA had to wait several hours until the path came to
us.  Many parts of the USA never did hear them on 12 RTTY.  When the path did
come in, down here in the southeast anyway, their signal peaked at S-8 the
second evening.  They were working 12 meter RTTY to the USA at 3 AM their local
time!  I was amazed but someone in our local radio club said the propagation
charts he was using actually did show an opening at that time.  I've never used
propagation charts much.  Apparently they were correct this time.

The 40 meter RTTY effort was quite chaotic as deliberate QRM slowed the
operation down quite a bit but they trudged on both nights and at times started
sending their messages twice in succession.  I was very surprised they operated
40 RTTY the last two nights when they could have just as well made more
contacts on CW or SSB.  I was expecting them to spend more time on 10 meter
RTTY but I'm happy with what I got.  From what I see on the website, only two
USA stations made 10 meter RTTY contacts.  I did work them on 10 meter CW which
also surprised me because it was after midnight their local time when I made
that contact.  So conditions are coming back on 10 meters and I'm very much
looking forward to The 10-Meter RTTY Contest in December.

73, Don AA5AU