[RTTY] Article on RTTY Demodulators.

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Article on RTTY Demodulators.
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:51:34 -0700
I have been digging through old articles on RTTY, and to fill some missing gaps
in my knowledge, I recently went and bought the set of RTTY Journal CD-ROMs
from Wayne, K7WM.

In the early days, the RTTY Journal was called just "RTTY" and sometimes
referred to as the RTTY bulletin.  After a few more name changes, it became
"Digital Journal" by the time Bill Henry K9GWT took over publishing it.

*Digital* Journal?   Yep, that was the name :-).  And if Mr. ST-8000 himself
did not object to the name, who am I to complain? :-).

I had subscribed to RTTY Journal from the early 1990s on, but all the paper
copies have long been discarded.

Anyhow, while I was combing through the old issues and taking notes for myself
on technical issues of FSK demodulation, I thought that those notes could be
useful for others too.  From time to time, there had been queries on this
reflector about where to find more information about RTTY.  I have also been
communicating offline over the past dozen years with a handful of folks not
just newer digital modes, but also of RTTY.

I cleaned up the notes into something more presentable and it can be found at

http://w7ay.net/site/Technical/RTTY%20Demodulators/

There are some non-technical bits in there too, and for those of you who have
seen it before, it could still be a nice trip down memory lane (with my biased
commentary to fill the space in between the real information :-).

Enjoy, and if not, "use the delete key" HI HI.

Many thanks to Mr. Henry for releasing the old issues to Wayne and also a big
thank you to Wayne for spending the time to scan them all into CD-ROM.  Much of
RTTY history would have been lost without the their contribution.  And I hope
that they forgive me for cutting numerous figures and diagrams from the CD-ROM
-- I was too lazy to redraw those figures and charts. I have learned in the
past to use the "ask forgiveness afterwards" approach, and sure hope that it
does not come and bite me in the back this time! :-)

In addition to being biased, my article is nowhere near complete either.  I
hope that it is a good concise starting point (which is how I intend to use the
web page myself) that will lead you to go find details from the original
articles.  Needless to say, if you don't already have the set of CD-ROMs (they

On a completely different front, congrats to Doug for winning the August 2011
QST cover plaque for the K4DSP FSKit.

73
Chen, W7AY