Re: [RTTY] What Adapters do the Rigblaster People Use?

To: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What Adapters do the Rigblaster People Use?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:59:27 -0400

Simply put, the Nomic does a wire-or of the DTR and RTS lines for PTT.
There is no separate CW (DTR) and PTT (RTS) outputs or any provision
for FSK (TxD or DTR).

One would be better served to simply build the two or three transistor
interface on Don's Web site: http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html
and ignore the DTR/RTS connections in the Nomic - or connect the Nomic
and AA5AU interfaces to the serial port/serial converter *in parallel*.

> He just told me the Rigblaster USB to serial adapter uses a Prolific
> chip set.<ugh>. How does the Rigblaster PLUS work on RTTY using this
> USB adapter?

When configured properly, RigBlaster Plus uses RTS for PTT and allows
jumper selection of TxD or DTR for CW and FSK.  There is no problem
using a Prolific based serial converter for FSK with EXTFSK.  Some
Prolific adapters will even run 45.45 baud as a UART (on TxD) even
though that speed is not officially supported (some "bad drivers"
fail to validate the baud rate).

Of course, none of this would be an issue (and would not need to be
repeated every six to 12 weeks) if the manufacturer actually provided
real customer support.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV