[RTTY] anyone experience someone playing games?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] anyone experience someone playing games?
From: Bill <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 04:05:25 -0600
I played a little in the OK rtty contest.
I was running.
I repeatedly got very weak calls from a Caribbean station.
At first I thought they were legitimate contest reports.
then I started to see a pattern.

For instance. (note: the prefix was identical and only the last
character element was different)
I'd be called by **1W*, make the qso
later called by **1W*, make the qso
etc. etc.
after a while I qsy'ed to a new frequency and resumed calling cq
again a weak reply from **1W*
each of these qso's would fade out, and then the station would call me
back and 'finish' the qso
While the prefix remained the same, the last letter of the call would
'increment' each time.

I'm not the quickest turtle in this race but after the 4th of these, I
became suspicious and stopped replying.
What are the odds of the full callsigns being identical except for the
last letter being incremented with each qso.

I logged them all, but it was very strange.