[RTTY] NAQP RTTY

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] NAQP RTTY
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:44:55 -0800
HI All

Looking at the rules for the NAQP RTTY, I see this:

"Output power must be limited to 100 watts for eligible entries.  Uses of
external amplifiers capable of more that 100 watts output is not allowed."

This rule puts a lot of people at a disadvantage as a lot of radios can't
run 100 watts key down continuously.  I know with my TS-450's, I usually
have to run them at 40-50 watts when running, or they get awfully warm.
Even then I have an extra fan that I keep on the back of the radio.  During
a regular  HP contest, I have to crank the exciter down to around 40 watts
or so and keep the amp around 250-300 watts to keep it happy.

Do they think people will cheat if they are able to use an amp?  I would
love to be able to turn on the amp and crank things down to 100 watts.  Sure
would keep the equipment cooler and happy.

If someone is going to use an amp illegally, they will do it whether the
rules allow it or not.  I just don't see the reasoning of saying an amp
can't be used if kept to 100 watts or less.  73
Tom W7WHY