Re: [RTTY] Finding & Removing Hidden COM ports in XP

To: rtty@contesting.com, Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Finding & Removing Hidden COM ports in XP
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:22:37 -0600
Hello Don...

Thanks for adding the new page. It should be helpful when dealing with
COM and USB issues.

I have a Dell GX620 desktop that has 8 USB ports. I have plugged dozens
of USB devices into this computer over the years. Recently I was
starting to have some issues with a non-ham device (USB flatbed
scanner). It was giving me fits. In addition, I was getting erratic
messages regarding some other USB devices too (the keyboard was one!).

When researching my problem I found a solution that worked for me. This
was a utility that will "flush" all the old USB drivers from your system
and then with a reboot, only the current USB devices are added back into
the OS. This approach was supposed to remove all the old USB drivers
that accumulate over time. I was skeptical but gave it a try. Voila! All
the "weirdness" went away and all my current USB devices worked properly.

You must download and install (DriveCleanup.exe) into
C:\Windows\System32. You then execute the program from the CMD prompt.
Here's the link to the site describing this approach.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic145884.html

This is certainly a "shot-gun" approach. I have done it on several of my
computers and it has worked without issue.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN