Re: [RTTY] Macros

To: "Neil Ensign" <neilensign@yahoo.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Macros
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <k8ut@k8ut.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:46:47 -0500
Neil,

There are two places to save Function Key definitions in N1MM Logger/MMTTY.

- The first place is the buttons along the bottom rows (8, 16, or 24
buttons) of the DI (Digital Interface) window - in which case your
definitions were stored in the config file for MMTTY. I'm guessing that's
not where you had a problem.

- The second place is in the N1MM Logger Message keys in the QSO Entry
window. This is where you probably had trouble.
It's important to understand that those Message definitions are stored in
the current open database. Any changes you make to those definitions are
save only to that database. This all works fine until/unless you decide to
use an external Function Key definition file - like the .MC Sample Macro
Files you can download from the N1MM Logger website. If you define a contest
log using >File >Open Log, with an >Associated File of a .MC file, the
program will import that definition file every time you perform >File >Open
Log. This means that if you import those definitions to the current open
database, then make changes to those definitions, those changes are only
saved in the current open database. If, subsequent to making changes, you
perform another >File >Open Log, the program will re-import that original
(unchanged) .MC file from the disk - overwriting any changes you may have
made to the Messages stored in the current open database.

Can this problem be avoided ? Yes - two ways.
If you prefer to edit the definitions outside of N1MM Logger -- use a .MC
disk file for your Function Key definitions, edit that file outside of N1MM
Logger using a text editor like Notepad. After saving your changes, select
 >File >Open Log and those changes will be re-imported into your current open
database. This process overwrites the definitions in the current open
database with definitions from the .MC disk file.
_or_
If you prefer to edit the definitions within N1MM Logger -- edit the Message
definitions within the program by right-clicking on the buttons. After
you've made changes export those changes _out_ of the current open database
and back to a .MC Function Key file by selecting >File >Export >Export
Function Keys to a file. This process overwrites the definitions in the .MC
disk file with definitions from the current open database.

Hope my long-winded explanation isn't too convoluted...

-larry (K8UT)