Re: [RTTY] N1MM

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N1MM
From: iw1ayd <iw1ayd@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:53:09 +0100
I use N1MM for QSO, DX'and contest since when I started RTTY with PSK.
I hate all those loggers that doesn't have all the macro, by the amount
and by the features/usability, of N1MM.

I made two sets of specialized for the daily activity macros, one to be
user with ESM, that is for DXing, and this set is well placed in the
input windows.
The second set use the macro buttons and places of the digital window.

The first set contains, mainly, the CQ, the short-short DX answer, my
call and so on. That set set get loaded from with the DB file that
contain my current log for daily operation, with all my past QSO
together. All those macro sets, as I have also a macro set for each
contest I have done, reside in a subdir called macro-contest. Files here
get names like "general DX Salvo 001"or "ARRL RTTY ROUNDUP 2012 001".
This last example will be configured to be loaded by the proper DB for
the related contest. Evey DB, as I use one for each contest even if that
atomicity isn't needed by N1MM itself, load its macro set for the input
window.

All the start, stop, brags and different answers are contained in the
second set of macro. There are also DX answer for 6m, with the grid
references inside, CAT MF filters switching or changeover and CAT TPF
ON/OF commands. I still hope to have a ICOM with the CAT clear RIT
command one day or the other.
This second set get loaded by hands, the recognition of the content is
by file name. I have a N1MM subdir, called macro-radio, where there stay
file like "soundblaster IC756P3 QSO 001" or "soundblaster 756P3 R1 7600
R2 WAEDC 2011 001". That's last, i.e, have inside the radio CAT commands
for two radio, as it was a SO2R job.

It's invaluable for a newbie, like me, to have the same instrument for
the day by day activities and the contesting activity: it's much more
easy to learn how to use that "bunch of stuffs" daily and without any
particular pressure than in contests, whit a lot more syncopated timing.
RTFM is a daily job, but not at contest time. It's Funny, isn't?

Just my two cents ...

               73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS All this have taken time and some redo, but now it's painless also to
learn a new logger. Well, to learn a new logger basic I mean. But since
now I am using N1MM when contesting alone or with well known operators.
Other loggers, IMHO, have the strict requirements for a single fingered
piano man ... all those messy F keys from the DOS time! Get a mouse it's
quite for free now! It may be that I was too late not using early
logging programs, as several fellow RTTY'ers tell me.