[RTTY] Band Specific RTTY Problem

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Band Specific RTTY Problem
From: Chad Anders <cm.anders74@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:08:57 -0600
Group,

I been having an odd problem since first thing in the morning about two
weeks
ago now at the opening of the BARTG RTTY Sprint. When operating RTTY mode
on 40
meters I have a high ALC reading unless I adjust my TX down to virtually
no output power. The output power and ALC are also wavering/fluttering
instead of
somewhat steady until the TX Pwr is adjust down very low. (i.e. 10-15 watts
or
less)

I run a Yaesu FT-950 and generate AFSK RTTY with a SignaLink USB. I run the
rig
in the PKT/LSB mode so that I have the use of the narrower filters. I've
been
trying to solve this for the last 10 days+ to no avail on my own. This is
the
only band the problem occurs on. On 80, 20, 15, and 10 meters everything
adjusts as
normal and seems as it always has and had before that morning on 40m. I
have been through
and through my settings on the rig and N1MM. The reaction is the same when
operating with HRD/DM/780 as well though, so I feel that pretty much rules
out a
software issue. Everything seems ok on SSB and CW on 40m. I can generate a
steady 100w CW signal on 40m that appears not to be suffering any
abnormalities. The
signal is getting out at least decent if not good on 40m RTTY as I could
and can
make contacts. I'm just worried about possible problems with the rig and
even
more so a harmful signal that's causing interference and troubles for
others.
This also seems to be an issue in PSK mode which had me eyeing the
SignaLink,
however it is most definitely a band specific problem I think and therefore
it doesn't seem to me that
is the likely issue.

Something is just not right and I'm at my wits end!!! I'm sure I didn't
include
some info you may need but I tried to include enough pertinent info to at
least
get us started. I hope this is not too out of bounds for this reflector.
I'm just at a loss and I
really want to get this solved in time for the CQ WPX RTTY
contest this weekend. It's quite the handicap to not have 40m.

73,

Chad/KØCMA