Re: [RTTY] 60 meter digital

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 60 meter digital
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 07:23:30 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On 2/25/2012 6:40 AM, Jim McDonald wrote:
> Check out the new ARRL guidelines for 60M:
> http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-publishes-new-guidelines-for-60-meters
>
> 73, Jim N7US

REPLY:

Thanks, Jim. That clears up a lot of questions.

I do have one issue, however. The ARRL guidelines state:

"It is certainly possible to interpret the FCC Report and Order somewhat
broadly as it concerns digital operating on the band, but be careful not
to read too much into the text. For example, while the Report and Order
mentions RTTY, it also specifies that the signal must be less than 60 Hz
wide. This is too narrow for amateur teletype signals. Only a much
narrower mode such as PSK31 (about 50 Hz wide) meets this requirement."

Apparently the ARRL is unaware of 23 Hz RTTY (Baudot), which also meets
the requirement, I think.  Does it?

For now I'll stick with PSK31 and Pactor III, but this needs to be
cleared up.

73, Bill W6WRT