[RTTY] FSKit clarification

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] FSKit clarification
From: Doug Hall <k4dsp.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:52:09 -0400
All,

I've gotten a lot of email all the sudden about the FSKit. It puzzled
me until I heard that QST had apparently published another article
referencing the FSKit. Then I remembered that WB3LHD had come up with
a way to integrate the FSKit with his SignaLink box to provide an FSK
output.

So just to clarify:

1. The FSKit is a simple circuit to produce an FSK signal from an AFSK
signal. It was described in a QST article last year in the August 2011
issue. It addresses specific needs that some RTTY users have. Please
refer to the article for more info.
2. The FSKit is not a commercial product, and the links to it on the
keriza.com page are outdated and need to be removed. (Actually the
links from the main page *are* removed, but the content still exists
and I guess a web search returns the outdated link. Darn that google
crawler.) I have no plans to make a commercial product.
3. I made FSKit PC boards and programmed microcontrollers available
per the info in the original QST article until late last year. I did
several runs of PC boards but I no longer have PC boards available. I
can still supply programmed ICs. I could do another run of PC boards
if there was interest, but I think everyone who wanted an FSKit has
built one by now, so I doubt if I'll order anymore boards.
4. WB3LHD asked me last year if he could write up his interface
between the FSKit and the SignaLink and I said sure, go ahead. (After
all, the design is open source.) But if you have questions about that
aspect of the interface please contact him, not me.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear. By the way, I'm not
interested in arguing about FSK vs. AFSK :-) Use what works best for
you, get on the air, and enjoy RTTY!

73,
Doug Hall K4DSP