Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement

To: Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 23:07:21 -0400
Don,

I'm on the road so this will be short.

The big problem is with amateurs who do not take good care of
station grounding and/or use common 12V supplies for both the
transceiver and interface.  Both situations allow significant
common mode currents to flow between the transceiver and the
computer (or interface) which modulates the audio (either TX
or RX).

Transformers are a convenient way to break that common mode
(ground loop) path ... something an interface designer can
not guarantee any other way.

As Chen points out, microHAM use the Bourns LPB1011 (from memory)
transformer - in current products - which is one of the better
performing transformers as long as you don't overdrive it.  It
is a good 10 to 20 dB better than transformers used in some of
the low cost audio only interfaces on the market.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV