Re: [RTTY] RTTY NS - expand to 60 minutes?

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY NS - expand to 60 minutes?
From: Bill Haddon <haddon.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:17:46 -0700
K9OM wrote:
>I'd love to see the RTTY NS expanded to 60  minutes.

Dick,

With the CW NS we've debated the length for years, and always settled back
on a 30-min format.

It's an argument involving rate vs. participation and allowing dupes or not
allowing them.  Initially the NS had same-band dupes after an intervening
Q.  That system was not popular with most, although a few really like
dupes. We occasionally hold a CW NS in the dupe format during the
non-Ladder periods (we are in a CW Ladder competition presently, with Matt,
NQ6N as the director while I attended to wedding details.

In a carefully designed experiment we determined that, for the 3-band 30
min format, rate is maintained at 90% of max when about 25 or more stations
participate, i.e. there is no real difference between allowing dupes and
not allowing them.

Going to 60 minutes would be problematic in that regard, and the event
would be a poor practice for NAS.

However, let's see what others think.

Shortly, with "father-of-the-bride" syndrome winding down, I'll propose our
first official RTTY NS series, maybe w/ wine prize if we can get enough
players.

Stay tuned!

73 Bill n6zfo