Re: [RTTY] FD RTTY Question and Dups

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FD RTTY Question and Dups
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:15:02 -0400
 > The ARRL DXCC Desk now says if it is not CW or Phone, it is Digital.

First, that only applies to DXCC - WAS recognizes all of the digital
modes separately *in addition* to a multi-mode "Digital" award.  In
addition, "Phone" includes AM, FM, SSB and SSTV as well as any other
*analog* mode other than CW.

> We first saw the elimination of the RTTY DXCC by the ARRL DXCC Desk
> and now that administrative policy decision seems to be leaking over
> to contesting.

RTTY has included other digital modes like ASCII, AMTOR, and PACKET
for more than 30 years.  Changing the name of the RTTY DXCC to reflect
inclusion of other digital modes is *no different* than calling the
AM DXCC "PHONE DXCC" instead of naming it after the first phone mode.

The name of the DIGITAL DXCC has no bearing on contesting.  Acceptable
digital modes and whether the modes are counted separately vary with
the contest.  RTTY Roundup permits Baudot, ASCII, AMTOR, PSK31 and
PACKET - and a station can be worked only once per band regardless of
mode.  Those rules have been consistent for several years,

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV