Re: [RTTY] Need advice

To: "'Dick-W0RAA'" <dickt@w0raa.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Need advice
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:40:14 -0700
SO2R is simpler with RTTY than CW or SSB because no switching (RX audio,
key, microphone, etc.) is needed.  Thus, the DX Doubler or other SO2R box
offers little value and is not needed.  If you already have an SO2R box for
CW/SSB, then it is convenient to configure for stereo receive audio with one
radio in each ear.  But, this can be achieved with standard Radio Shack
audio adapters and cables.

The most important thing in setting up SO2R is minimizing RFI from one
radio's transmitter into the other radio's receiver.  Band Pass Filters
(Dunestar, ICE, W3NQN, FilterMax, etc for low power and 4O3A for high power)
are a good start, but stubs may also help to reduce harmonic RFI.

A Triplexer (INRAD makes a nice low power one; 4O3A makes a great high power
one) is handy so that the two radios can share the A3S, using different
bands.  Otherwise, SO2R will be mainly 40/80 or 40/20.  You wouldn't be able
to do 10/15 or 10/20 or 15/20 which are important during the day.

A choice point is whether to use one logging PC with the two radios or to
use two networked PCs, one dedicated to each radio.  As you might imagine,
there are advantages of each configuration.  The basic difference is that
with one PC you must do some keystrokes to switch transmission between the
two radios.  With two PCs you physically move between two
keyboards/displays/mice.  Like politics and religion, some people will argue
vehemently that one is better than the other.   I believe it is simply
personal preference.

Stick with the logger you mostly use with RTTY now.  No reason to complicate
a new learning curve by unnecessarily changing loggers.  N1MM Logger and
WriteLog are equally great for the whole range of RTTY contesting from
beginner to expert.  Like the one PC vs. two PC choice above, it is only a
matter of preference.  So, don't make SO2R more difficult by changing
loggers from what you are most familiar with on RTTY.

Most internal and add-on soundcards are stereo, which allows you to connect
the receive audio from each radio into either the left or right channel.
You will need a RTTY interface for each radio and each can range from
generic audio cables (plus a FSK/PTT keying cable for FSK) to commercial
interfaces.  Whatever you use for RTTY with each radio in SO1R will be fine
for SO2R.

The RTTY mode is the best way to learn SO2R and your skills can then be
moved to CW/SSB.  This is primarily because with RTTY the decoding/encoding
is done by the PC, not your brain.  Thus, there are more "brain cycles"
available to learn SO2R skills.

Ed - W0YK