[RTTY] Slow xmit with MMTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Slow xmit with MMTTY
From: Arliss <w7xu@iw.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 22:12:39 -0500
I'm having a problem getting my K3/MMTTY AFSK system to work properly and am wondering if anyone can help me out.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I attempt to transmit (clicking on TX on the MMTTY screen), the K3 switches essentially immediately to transmit, but it takes almost 4 seconds before the K3 actually sends a signal. Then when I click on TXOFF, the signal stops immediately, but it's about 2 seconds before the radio switches to receive. The delays are far too long to do any semi-serious operating.

The radio: K3/100, connected to the computer via line in/line out
           Data: AFSK A
           Operating PTT via DTR/RTS
           TX DLY is at minimum; PTT RLS is at minimum

The computer:  Pentium 4 CPU, 2.60 GHz, 2.98 GB RAM
               Windows XP, Service Pack 3
               The sound card does not share an IRQ with any
               other device
               Sound board is SoundMAX
               No other programs running simultaneously
               CPU monitor indicates it's running at less than
               10%

MMTTY:  Version 1.68A
        Priority "Highest"
        Char. wait & Diddle wait set to far lest
        Flow control XON/XOFF is set off

I assume it's something basic, but I haven't been able to discover the answer.

Actual transmission and reception are fine, once the changeover takes place.

Makes me long for the days when I had 28ASRs.

Thanks in advance & 73,

Arliss