Re: [RTTY] Cabrillo Converter

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Cabrillo Converter
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:31:03 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 09:54:29 -0500, you wrote:

>I am still using RTTY5.02 by WF1B for the RTTY contests. I used it this
>weekend for the ARRL RTTY Roundup.

REPLY:
It's good to see that some are keeping the old flame alive.

For those new to RTTY contesting, Ray Ortgeisen, WF1B, was the person most
responsible for the surge in RTTY contesting that began back in the '90s. His
software, simply called RTTY, was the first widely used contest program for RTTY
and it became an instant hit on the air. It was a DOS based program and required
an external TNC such as a KAM or Pakratt.  To the best of my recollection it did
not have a software decoder anything like MMTTY. Somebody please correct me if
I'm wrong. I used it with a KAM for many years.

The program ran fine on DOS or Windows 95 and 98 but it would not run on XP.
That spelled it's doom, sad to say.

Mention of Ray has all but disappeared these days, but us old time RTTY'ers have
not forgotten the guy who made all this fun and excitement possible.

Bless you Ray, wherever you are.

73, Bill W6WRT