Re: [RTTY] RTTY Rx filter bandwidth

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Rx filter bandwidth
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:28:18 -0500

On 1/10/2013 2:01 PM, Ed Muns wrote:
> The KFLA-250 is nominally 370 Hz wide at the -6 dB points.

Which is why it makes little sense to put both the KFL3A-400 and
KFL3A-250 in the same K3<G>.  Again, see the Elecraft filter plots:
   http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_filter_plots.htm

370Hz is very close to the theoretical limit - one can debate whether
the 3rd, 5th or 7th harmonic of the 22.727 Hz "clock" are required to adequately reproduce the edges of the keying waveshape - for minimum
ISI.  The 400 Hz filter provides just a bit more ease of tuning at
minimal added risk of close in AGC effects and 400/200 is a better
combination that 500/250 on CW.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV