Re: [RTTY] Filtered AFSK transmission

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Filtered AFSK transmission
From: "W4GKM" <w4gkm@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:58:51 -0600
Chen,

What's the advantage of using fldigi? Is it just for AFSK, which I haven't used in 20 years.

Nick
w4gkm

-----Original Message----- From: Kok Chen
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 4:42 PM
To: RTTY Reflector
Subject: [RTTY] Filtered AFSK transmission

Some of you might remember that I had in an earlier posting a week or two ago, mentioned that fldigi had no RTTY transmit filtering or waveshaping.

Right on the heels of Elecraft releasing their alpha firmware which includes FSK filtering for the K3, the latest version of fldigi now implements AFSK waveshaping, so I can now take back the earlier statement :-).

If you have been listening to W1AW's RTTY bulletins since yesterday (Thursday), they are now using this version of fldigi. What this means is that when W1AW fires up in the middle of a pileup or contest, they are now much less likely to bother you. (Assuming W1AW fixes some remaining baseband (hum) problems, their harmonics were fixed the day after it was reported to this reflector.)

73
Chen, W7AY