Re: [RTTY] 2Tone vs. MMTTY - Round 2 testing

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2Tone vs. MMTTY - Round 2 testing
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:37:47 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:21:24 -0600, AA5AU wrote:

<snip>
>Before his signal was S9, I was experimenting with the AGC. In the past, I
>have always used FAST AGC on RTTY, but I'm sure now that
>is not the best setting. I read something from G3YYD, either in his
>documentation or in a post to the N1MM reflector, that 2Tone
>works best with a slower AGC.

REPLY:
This is interesting. I had always heard that a fast AGC was best for a
carrier-type mode such as RTTY or AM. It sounds reasonable to me that one
would want to maintain a steady audio level into the decoder, but maybe
that is not always true.

Can someone explain why slower is better for 2Tone? Is this true only for
2Tone or for other decoders as well?

Many thanks,

Bill, W6WRT