Re: [RTTY] 2Tone - not better than MMTTY on Florida East Coast

To: "RTTY reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2Tone - not better than MMTTY on Florida East Coast
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:50:19 -0700
In listening to a dozen or more RTTY signals from  Europe, 2Tone
did not
decode as accurately as MMTTY at my QTH, whether the  signal was
strong or
weak, MMTTY decoded more accurately.  Most of the signals had
flutter on
them and even though flutter was  selected on 2Tone, MMTTY still
decoded better.

I haven't had much luck with the "flutter" setting.  "Normal"
always seems better to me, even on fluttery signals.  The jury is
still out, in my mind anyway, between filter 1 and filter 2.  I'm
leaning toward filter 1.  Maybe G3YYD can fill us in on his
survey results.

I really miss not having the X-Y scope on 2Tone.   Perhaps
there's a way to turn X-Y on?

I think 2tone is most valuable as a complement to MMTTY, rather
than a total replacement.  If you have them both running, and the
mark and space frequencies are identical in both programs, you
can use the x-y scope in the MMTTY window for tuning.

On my K3, when 2Tone is keyed, I hear a "clicking" sound on  my
monitor
before the tones are transmitted. The "click" is annoying and I
don't hear
that "click" when using  MMTTY.

I use FSK, so I use MMTTY in the main DI Window, and 2tone in the
receive-only window.  You can do the same with AFSK.

For those of you who have 2Tone decoding better then MMTTY, I
am happy for
you!

Don't give up on it. Try "Normal," "Filter 1," and use 2tone in the receive-only window.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

.