Re: [RTTY] My thoughts on RTTY analysis

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] My thoughts on RTTY analysis
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:00:50 -0500
The bandwidth thing gets a bad name. It's really not in anyone's best interest to have a wide signal, including your own.

One reason for that is the fat signal is harder to tune. That means guys tracking your run station while in S&P take more time fiddling with the dial. So as a runner, you have a lower rate to some extent by the tuning. I see the same effect when using NaP3 for tuning - trying to figure out where the main tones in some fat stations where the first sideband may look almost as strong as the primary tones the the waterfall.

Next you lose because guys who normally would jump into the contest (and be either S&P to your run, or guys you could call in S&P yourself) are not there at all. Participation is lower. Sure you can argue that a guy can run up the band and find a clean spot. But some guys see (for example) the RTTY running into 7125 or 14150 and think it's too far up in the band anyway. Sure these are easy-out kinds of excuses, but I hear them locally after every big contest. Maybe they are just the convenient excuses, but I wonder how many guys in the less equipped category do not join the contest because they don't think they can find a slot.

There is a belief that having a fat signal keeps guys away from your doorstep. But that's not the problem at all. The fat sideband you have, if matched by your neighbor, means he's putting as much crap into your band pass as you are in his, even though you are separated a bit. Why is that a problem? Because ALL rigs, regardless of maker, type or filtering capability CANNOT filter in-band energy. This is the RTTY equivalent of the SSB splatter or the CW click. The net result is that because of your fat signal, there are less participants and as a result you have a lower score.

Of course I don't discount the possible effect of having a monster signal next to yours acting to desense your rig. But I can argue that it's more of an operator worry than a gear worry because with proper use of filtering and attenuation, combined with the huge DR of the current crop of AF decoders, combine to mean the signal can be a monster **if** it's clean and there is no in-band content. Some may say that I don't live next to GKM or any of the other big guns - and maybe I don't appreciate this as much. But with the signal strength dropping half with each doubling of distance, the circle of outright concern is geographically pretty small in the scheme of things. In any event, this seems to be the number one justification I hear for guys wanting a fatter contest signal. Too bad because it's the in-band energy from sidebands that is wiping out your faint DX, not your rigs reduction in gain caused by AGC action.

RTTY contests would be better for everyone if every guy's signal is as crispy clean as they can make it. Not for the other guy, but for the reciprocation that you get from a general awareness and a general improvement over time where one guy at a time is doing what they can.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Lee Roberts