[RTTY] CQ WW RTTY ZS2EZ SOAB HP

Subject: [RTTY] CQ WW RTTY ZS2EZ SOAB HP
From: "Barry Murrell ZS2EZ" <zs2ez@zs2ez.co.za>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:52:16 +0200
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: ZS2EZ

Operator(s): ZS2EZ

Station: ZS2EZ

Class: SOAB HP

QTH: PORT ELIZABETH, SOUTH AFRICA

Operating Time (hrs):  24

  Band  QSOs  Pts  Zns  Ctys Sts

------------------------------------

    40:      80      236   13    18     32

    20:    161      479   13    41     16

    15:    132      395   17    39     18

    10:    232      687   22    59     22

------------------------------------

Total:   605    1797   65  157   88  Total Score = 557,070

Comments:

Back in the contests after more than a year out due to antenna problems and
a faulty amplifier.  Never easy contesting from so far south (my QTH in Port
Elizabeth is on the SE coast of South Africa, about 800km from the
Southernmost tip of Africa) as I am out of the main East-West path for most
people, and conditions down here simply went from bad to worse over the
weekend!! Saturday started with gale-force winds, heavy static and extremely
poor conditions.. And just got worse as the day went on. Sunday morning was
a little better, but the higher bands were badly affected by very deep QSB
all weekend. Managed to grind out a few moderate runs, but the only real
fireworks was 20m on Sunday evening - a really nice pileup for around 90
min.

Undoubtedly the highlight for me was snagging 5W1SA on 15m for a new one on
both that band and on RTTY..

This was the first time that I tried 3 receive windows - MMTTY, 2Tone and my
HAL DXP-38. Overall I found all three to be very evenly matched under the
conditions - both 2Tone and MMTTY really struggled under the 20m pileup, but
during the day they worked well. The DXP-38 was consistently good under all
conditions. Did make a big difference having the 3 windows, and did not need
to ask for nearly as many repeats as in the past!! Transceiver is a Kenwood
TS-870 running FSK through a MicroHam Microkeyer II.

Good to be back, and looking forward to the JARTS. Thanks to all for the Q's
-  log has been uploaded to LoTW and Clublog!!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Member : SARL - ARRL

EPC#0558 DMC#1690 WCC#030 30MDG#4081