Re: [RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:38:24 -0700
I had earlier written to Peter that although the MicroHam interfaces cannot
achieve precise 45.45 baud transmission, that the hardware cannot be the cause
of any of the "slow RTTY" that we hear -- simply because I have never heard
"slow RTTY" come from my uH Router program.  If it were a hardware problem, I
will have problems too.

I would challenge any "golden ears" to tell the difference between 45.45 baud
and 45.0 baud (and you can actually get closer to 45.45 than 45.0 with a
MicroKeyer if you program the division ratio correctly -- presumably all
software is doing that already).  Heck, the majority of RTTY ops cannot tell
the difference between 1 stop bit and 2 stop bits and the character rate
difference is much larger there.  Due to because of the extra keying sidebands
it is actually easier to tell 1.5 stop bit from 1 stop bit.

The most likely cause of the "slow RTTY" are Elecraft K3, running in FSK-D and
keyed by using a Morse paddle (yes, the Amateur community spans a range of
intelligence :-).

MicroKeyers have been in existence for a long time and no one noticed "slow
RTTY" until Elecraft implemented FSK-D wrongly (by not immediately issuing a
diddle while the op is in the middle of paddling in a long Morse character like
a zero or a 9).

73
Chen, W7AY