Re: [RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Looking for an interface - a few simple requirements
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 15:31:45 -0400

> The third happens all the time with FSK (and rare with AFSK) and the
> majority of people don't even know it -- 2Tone has an indicator for
> the stop bit duration, otherwise in the past you will need to plot
> out the decoded waveform to see it.
>
> I think it happens because the "next" character is not sent to the
> UART fast enough, thereby stretching the stop bit.  This happens more
> often than you think: stop bits would stretch between 22 ms to
> perhaps 60 ms (not as long as the K3/paddle case, though).

This condition can be created easily with MMTTY and direct keyboard
entry.  Simply increase the "Diddle wait" slider on the TX Tab in
MMTTY Set-up (or at the right side of the transmit menu of the main
display) along with the "Char. Wait".

Character Wait controls the (added) wait time (mark extension) between
characters whilst Diddle Wait controls the amount of time without a
character "ready" before MMTTY will switch to sending (inserting) Diddles in the data stream.

If Character Wait is longer than diddle wait, diddles will be inserted
into the (uneven) data stream during keyboard operation.  If diddle
wait is longer than character wait, one will get the "variable length
Mark".

With many (slow) manual typists the data is often - character, LTRS,
character, LTRS, etc.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV