Re: [RTTY] One more thought on emergency comm

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] One more thought on emergency comm
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:56:52 -0500

All things being equal - similar levels of convolutional coding,
similar symbol rates, etc. - as the number of carriers increases
and the bandwidth gets wider, for a constant PEP output, the peak
power available to each carrier drops and while the noise in each
decoder channel remains the same and the number of potential hits
due to selective fading and interference increases.  Because the
crest factor will naturally increase as the number of carriers
increases, one must increase ERP substantially to maintain the
same SNR for each carrier as bandwidth increases - again for
constant coding and symbol rate.

This is no great discovery - amateurs have known the principle for
80 years.  CW - assuming a 100 Hz bandwidth for the "human filter" -
will have a 10 to 12 dB advantage (perhaps more depending on "crest
factor" or clipping level) over SSB in a 2.4 KHz bandwidth for the
same peak power output.  Extend that to double sideband AM with
carrier in a 6 KHz bandwidth and CW has about 20 dB advantage.

> Heck, even DominoEX wipes the floor with RTTY; DominoEX has many of
> the properties of the modern modes to countermeasure both multipath
> and Doppler spreading.

I have no argument that there are more efficient codes than traditional
RTTY.  I will maintain that all else being equal the narrow band
modes (lower symbol rates, fewer carriers) will get through when the
wide band (higher symbol rates, more carriers, more bits per symbol)
codes will not. The question is which has greater effective through- put - "slow but steady" or "infrequent but fast" and how much
throughput is really required for *amateur* purposes.

More importantly to this discussion, is it appropriate to mix wide
and narrow bandwidth modes in the same spectrum or should the wide
band modes be grouped with other wideband modes (e.g., voice and
2400 Hz bandwidth image).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV