Re: [RTTY] Why 150W LP in Roundup?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Why 150W LP in Roundup?
From: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:56:51 -0800
Sorry it was Gate 2 in 1996 where I applied for a received W7RY.

Jim W7RY

On 12/31/2013 9:52 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
In the beginning.... The ARRL did not come up with the RTTY Roundup contest... Hal, WA7EGA (now K7IRA) and Jay, WS7I came up the this contest over several glasses of single malt scotch.

If you have ever read the article by Hal, "The Meanest Thing we Ever Did" it is worth a read. I just did some searching and could not find it on the web. Perhaps Jay can post it to the EWARG site and send out a link.

You'll have to come up with a SB-1000 linear amplifier, (like Jay, his wife Betsy, and I did when we won, and I think still hold the world record for) mulit op low power when we operated with a single tribander, (Cushcraft ATB-34 @ 60 feet), a single inverted vee dipole hung from the same tower, a Ten-Tec Omni V, and the SB-1000 at 150 watts (measured with a Bird 43). All from a 50X120 foot lot in the middle of Spokane. I dont even remember what year this was... It was before 1996 because I had my old call still, WB7AVD.

So the long answer is... It is a legacy thing from Jay and Hal.

73
Jim W7RY

PS Jay is the one that suggested that I apply for W7RY when vanity Gate 1A opened in 1996.