Re: [RTTY] The Empire Strikes Back....... RM-11708

To: Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM <wb2rhm@wb2rhm.com>, "rtty-contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The Empire Strikes Back....... RM-11708
From: Steve Dyer <w1srd@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:13:00 -0800 (PST)
So many logical fallacies in this but my favorite:

"..the ARRL said comments opposed to its initiative reflect a “fundamental
misunderstanding”.."

Clearly if you oppose this you are clueless.

Further:

"...and as an artificial and arbitrary filter on the types of emissions that
can be utilized by radio amateurs."

What protocols are filtered? Nothing explicitly stated by the ARRL so we are
left to conjecture.

“The Commission has properly chastised the Amateur Service for
resisting deregulatory proposals that are designed to enable amateur
experimenters to refine and adapt technologies,”

Uh oh, we are also not towing the line with the FCC if we oppose this. Maybe
they will have the NSA monitor the RTTY sub-bands.

The amusing thing is there are a handful of people on the planet that have ever
written the code for any new protocol and never once did an innovator raise
their hand and say the existing rules where a hindrance to their progress.

The ARRL has never answered the simple question -- of all the rules that need
or could be updated, why this one?

73,
Steve
W1SRD