Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 Comments on Comments period

To: Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM <wb2rhm@wb2rhm.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 Comments on Comments period
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:00:03 -0600
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM
<wb2rhm@wb2rhm.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> First, I do not have the programming skills to do this.......   But, it
> might be interesting IF..........  (my goodness, that sounds like something
> my old IBM  management might have said).......
>
> There are almost 1000 public comments to RM-11708 recorded on the FCC
> website, PRO and CON. Each comment has a name and address affixed to it.
>
> I think it might be a 'revealing informational  exercise' to know how many
> of the names and addresses can be attached to actual, current, licensed,
> Amateur Radio operators, registered in the FCC database............
>
> To me, this seems to be a reasonable, do-able, 'net' programming task and
> might provide an interesting Factoid for us to append to the 'Comments on
> RM-11708' during the Comments to Comments period.....

Me too neither ... BUT ... on the search page, there is an "export to
XLS" button.  The resulting spreadsheet has all 918 comments (so far)
and there is a column for "Name of Filer", but not for their address.
Some folks included their call with their name, so that's an easy
place to start.

There is  column of URLs for each comment, however, so someone should
be able to extract the URLs and pull the comments.  Then you could
find addresses.

Sorting on the name column is fun.  Glad to see K0SM and AA6YQ in
there more than once.  There some others in there multiple times
though for them it seems to be difficulty in using online systems.
:eyeroll:

There's actually an RSS feed on the page, so you can have a live feed
of the comments as they come in.  :-)