Re: [RTTY] IC-7100

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] IC-7100
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 22:46:30 +0000
I recently swapped in an IC7100 as my number two radio, replacing an IC7000
that will be going mobile.

I also just took the station out for a very quick test-drive in the 2200Z
practice session, the first time I've worked RTTY on the 7100.

The 7100 is OK.  The receiver and filtering isn't as good as my primary rig, a
K3, but it is somewhat better than the 7000's.   Being able to tap on the touch
screen to cycle among wide/medium/narrow filters is kind of nifty, as is the
on-screen decoding on the larger screen...but those are bells and whistles if
the contest logging software is set up suitably.  I'm kind of disappointed that
they didn't make the TPF filter a toggleable option from the touchscreen,
however-- still need to dig through a menu, or make use of a macro.

When my 7000 was my one-and-only HF rig, I tended to run it at reduced power if
running a frequency in a RTTY test, due to the heating issues.   My quick test
wasn't long enough to determine if the 7100 will require similar treatment.

--
Michael / N1EN (WW1MM in WPX)