Re: [RTTY] QSL et. el.

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] QSL et. el.
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:52:42 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/11/2014 11:36 AM, Phil Sussman wrote:

It used to be 'hard cards' were verified and even so fraud existed.
Certainly fraud still exists.

REPLY:

Many times in the olden days I received a paper QSL and several blank QSLs which I could fill out myself any way I wanted. How about a QSO with Heard Island on 40 GHz?

LotW has gone a long way toward eliminating fraud, but a truly determined lid could still establish a fake account and enter a fake QSO. Because of the postal mail verification, this would be exceedingly difficult but not impossible. I wonder if it has ever been done? Anyone know?

IMO, LotW is about as secure as anything can be. Even money transfers through a bank are less secure than LotW.

73, Bill W6WRT