Re: [RTTY] Frequency skew

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Frequency skew
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:46:21 -0600
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Shoppa, Tim <tshoppa@wmata.com> wrote:
> Here's my little Monday morning quarterbacking on Skimmer performance this
> past weekend. I was wondering if maybe my VFO or frequency math (when doing
> AFSK) was out of whack, because skimmer spots were most often 200-400Hz low.
> Pretty soon I got in the habit of just clicking about 300Hz or so above any
> skimmer spot and most often found this to handle the skew, but I also began
> to notice that not all skimmers were offset by the same amount, sometimes
> clicking 400Hz high was a bit better. Manually entered spots, while they had
> more callsign busts

A HA!  I'm glad you posted this.  I thought there was a config issue
at N5UWY!  This is about the only contest in which I use spotting
assistance so usually it's just random DX.  With the latter, if it's
off a bit, I probably don't notice and just trim it up with that big
knob on the front of the radio.  But this weekend, just about every
spot seemed to be off, just a little.

I guess I know why now - thanks!