Re: [RTTY] MMTTY startup tone?

To: Jamie WW3S <ww3s@zoominternet.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MMTTY startup tone?
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:15:27 -0800
On Feb 25, 2014, at 3:53 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:

> I noticed in this the last few rtty contests a stranger sounding “start” to
> RTTY, and if I recall, there was some discussion here about a setting in
> MMTTY that allows other station to sync on your signal better....is that what
> I’m hearing, and what is that setting?

You are probably hearing a 2Tone transmission, which starts with a long Space
tone instead of the traditional short Mark tone.  The reason David gave is that
it allows selective fading to be measured by the receiver before the first
character is transmitted.

I have been told that fldigi is doing the same thing, but don't have first hand
knowledge.

73
Chen, W7AY