[RTTY] Sailmail vs Airmail in Maritime Environment

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Sailmail vs Airmail in Maritime Environment
From: Dave Vandaveer <dave@rockisland.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:06:10 -0700
The author of Sailmail provided the ham radio community the free Airmail software so the boating ham community could use HF to maintain contact with friends on solid ground while they were out bobbing around the ocean. In the early days, the winlink land stations were mostly located at yacht clubs. He has to maintain land based stations for Sailmail and charges just enough to cover the costs incurred. It is definitely not a profit making situation.

As I understand it, Airmail and Sailmail are essentially the same program running on your laptop. You can also use Airmail for computer to computer connections, and I used it lots when a friend was on his boat in Mexican waters. Twenty meters was reliable for the path during the day. The KamPlus worked fine.

Jim wrote the software while bobbing around the ocean himself. He also has modified Airmail for our emcomm group here in the county to provide additional capabilities. He currently isn't part of the winlink community, but continues to add features to Airmail as requested. No charge. Just a good ham who also likes boats.

Dave
K9MRQ

Besides, it's not the location, it's the content of the communication.

Careful, though. Is it a pecuniary interest to use an autopatch instead of my cell phone to call home in order to save a few cents? What if I don't own a cell phone? Or does the widespread availability of cellular phone service now make it illegal to use an autopatch for anything except 911 calls?

Personally, I think this is a line of argument fraught with unintended consequences. A better argument is made concerning the assertion that anyone initiating a Winlink session is a "control operator" in the sense that the FCC means.

Al
AB2ZY