Re: [RTTY] Mellish Reef Storm Pending

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Mellish Reef Storm Pending
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:16:08 -0800
They are still up and running now!  Just worked them on 21080.05 up 8.6.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Tom - ke1jf Sent: April 03, 2014 6:57 AM To: RTTY@contesting.com Subject: [RTTY] Mellish Reef Storm Pending
From OPDX;

Mellish Reef Weather Alert #1 -- For immediate release:
   The skipper is monitoring a tropical depression several days north
 of Mellish Reef. This severe weather has the potential to disrupt
 operations. We have at least 24 hours before any decision is made
 on how to proceed, we have plans to deal with the situation.

 At 0700,  April 3rd (local) we plan the following:
 1. All unnecessary equipment will be removed from the island, leaving
    just the operating tents, radio equipment, generators and antennas.
 2. Depending on the intensity of the weather we may be forced to
    terminate the operation early. Another alternative is to temporarily
    leave the island and return when safe.
 3. Any decision to modify or terminate the operation is at least 24
    hours away. The safety of the DX-pedition team and the crew is the
    first priority.
 4. To better use the time on the island we ask that band fills be
    suspended and only people that need Mellish Reef for and All Time
    New One call us.
 5. For at least the next 24 hours we will focus our attention to those
    bands that drive highest rates to maximize ATNOs.

 As news develops we will send out additional information. The only
 source for VK9MT Mellish Reef information will be these bulletins.
      Team Mellish 2014

 Mellish Reef Weather Alert #2 - April 3, 1535 (local)
 The weather continues to change.  Last night there were torrential
 downpours and high winds.

 The antennas survived with no damage, the break tent took on some water
 through an open window. The operating tents maintained their integrity
 and no equipment was damaged. Today it has been hot and humid, with high
 winds.

 We removed non essential equipment and several antennas, including the
 160 antenna, from the island. Tonight we will try to keep at least 3
 stations on the air. Tomorrow morning we will remove all remaining
 equipment from the island and head towards Australia.

 We do not yet have a destination identified, it will depend on the
 winds and sea conditions. Eventually, we will return to Mackay.

 Even if the storm subsides it is unlikely we will have enough time to
 return to the island.

 Team Mellish Reef 2014