[RTTY] Fwd: Fwd: [CTDXCC] Rick Roderick's position

To: k0gw@arrl.org
Subject: [RTTY] Fwd: Fwd: [CTDXCC] Rick Roderick's position
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:09:23 -0500
Hello Greg - KØGW...

You had previously communicated to me your support of the ARRL RM-11708. We are on opposite pages regarding this topic. Three things disturb me greatly in what I see developing as a "us vs. them" scenario.

The first is the blatant disregard for the technical competence of the digital community who oppose RM-11708. It is consistently being stated the opposition is "misinformed". This implies ignorance of the topic instead of acknowledging it is a debatable, opposing viewpoint.

Here's my opinion, ARRL is presenting an _immature_ response when faced with credible opposition to their proposal. This is creating very bad PR and, obviously, no one knows how to effectively manage "spin control" to minimize the affect. All this would be unnecessary had the topic been debated prior to rushing RM-11708 to the FCC for their blessing.

The second issue is that the FCC has previously denied a similar request many years ago. They upheld the fundamental concept of keeping narrow-bandwidth and wide-bandwidth signals separate in the bands. If this were not the case, SSTV signals would have been moved into the CW/Digital section at that time. They were not.

I believe the previous FCC decision is a foreshadow of their rejection of RM-11708. It is the same argument, just different words. Lifting the restrictions will create a "wide band" signal and it should be restricted to the "wide-band" portion of the existing amateur radio bands. I don't see any change in philosophy at the FCC regarding their previous decision and I am puzzled why the ARRL believes it has. Basically they have taken the same old pig and changed the color of the lipstick.

Thirdly, trying to sneak RM-11708 through the system without discussion and comment from those who will be affected. This was a very bad management decision at HQ. I typically support the ARRL in general, but this specific issue has left a bad taste in my mouth. I read very immature responses to the opposition and the unwillingness to carrying on a rational debate. It's just a /"Because I'm the mom, that's why!"/ argument.

Please review the information below, again. I hope this time you become convinced RM-11708 should be withdrawn.

Respectfully submitted,

Bob Chudek - KØRC in MN