Re: [RTTY] New proposal for a Automated Digital Contest

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New proposal for a Automated Digital Contest
From: Terry <ab5k@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:35:23 -0500
Hi Ron,

Since everyone already has MMTTY or 2-tone already setup, I believe that
would be the preferred choice if a busy frequency detector can be
implemented.

There are all kind of interesting things that we could experiment with.   I
believe that MMTTY already supports 850 HZ shift.  If RM-11708 is adopted,
we might find a 2.8 KHz waveform that we want to experiment with.   From
what I read on the Rm-11708 FCC comments, conserving bandwidth is outdated
and it's all about efficiency,  so we need to get out of the "old-fashioned"
thinking that conserving bandwidth is the right thing to do.   We could have
a QRP (1 watt) night, a 100 watt night and a 1500 watt night.  It really
depends on what experiments we want to do.  We do need a way to document the
waveforms and power used with the collected propagation data that is
published to the FTP site.

Winlink has a propagation model built into its software.    Think dumb
sailor ham who has no idea about propagation who needs to know the best
frequency to get his supplies ordered, post to his Facebook page, etc.  I
would think that the Winlink folks would be very interested in the contest
propagation data as it could be used to update the Winlink propagation
forecast model.   I suspect the Winlink folks would encourage us to use some
of the wider bandwidth waveforms as that would give them a better
understanding of how their wide bandwidth waveforms will get thru under
multi-path and other propagation conditions.

Terry   AB5K