[RTTY] Dealing with High-Pitched Background Noise?

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Dealing with High-Pitched Background Noise?
From: Michael Rapp <mdrapp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:14:18 -0500
Hi all,

During the NAQP I used my narrow RTTY filters on my FT-950 to great effect.
 Whenever signals were close, if I dialed down my filter to 300 Hz
bandwidth, it (of course) blocked out the adjacent signals and made the one
I was trying to tune in much more distinct.  When it was really crowded, I
even went down to 200 Hz to "hug" the signal.

However, I noticed an annoying disadvantage when I did this.  With the
narrow filter engaged, the background noise becomes much higher in pitch,
to the point that I find it quite uncomfortable to listen to.

Is this normal or is it just a quirk of my rig?  Does this bother anyone
else and what have you done to mitigate it?

What I may try doing is take auxiliary audio out (called Rec Out on Yaesu
radios) and put it into an amplifier with tone controls and just really
turn down the treble.  All I am really asking for my speaker to do is help
me detect and tune in the RTTY sign audibly, not listen to it in high
fidelity.  Of course, if I do this I'm going to probably attenuate weak
signals.  Hmmm...

/*/-=[Michael / KT5MR]-=/*/