[RTTY] K9MUG - SK

To: rtty reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] K9MUG - SK
From: Fred Dennin <fdennin@numail.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:59:04 -0400
It is an unpleasant task in notifying you that our good friend, Dr. Darrell
Penrod, K9MUG, passed away on October 14, 2014 after sustaining a fall at his
home.  Darrell was 77 yrs young and loved life and amateur radio.  He operated
at my place many times and was an accomplished DXer, CW op, RTTY op and had
340/347 confirmed in the ARRL DXCC Mixed Standings.

“The MUG” had a BS in engineering from from Northwestern, an MS in math from
Washington State and a PhD in engineering from Illinois.  He taught vibrations
and dynamics in the mechanical engineering department at Auburn and was also a
professor at Notre Dame.  Most people didn’t know about Darrell’s credentials,
however, if you ever spent any time with him, you knew he was extremely
intelligent.  Darrell taught me more life lessons than academics and I miss him
already.

Darrell loved RTTY contesting, even though he was an accomplished CW op.  To
steal from Eric, W4DXX today, “The MUG” is 599 everywhere now.

73’….Fred, WW4LL