[RTTY] Naqp rules about power

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Naqp rules about power
From: Yahoo Email via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:37:59 -0600
Interesting comments about power and amplifiers.  Based on these comments and
my personal station issues, I sent the following message to Mark Aaker
supporting a change in the rules to just "100 watts maximum power". This
supports one of the messages suggesting KISS is best.  Mark responded saying he
would make sure they re-evaluate the rule before next year.

>>> I saw your response to Cheryl's regarding a rule change to just limit the
>>> power to 100 watts and I support this change.  I own two ft-2000's, one is
>>> a "d" model rated at 200 watts (100 watts recommend max on rtty) and a
>>> standard model (50 watts recommended on rtty).  One is at home and one is
>>> at my cabin so they aren't sitting side my side.  You might ask what's the
>>> big deal - it's only 3 db.  But how many hams choose their beams based on a
>>> lot less than 3db gain.  If you would say the max power is 100 watts,  I'll
>>> abide by that rule - just as when there is no power restriction, I'll stay
>>> within the legal limit.  There are lots of ways to cheat in contests but I
>>> believe most operators are honest and stay within the rules.

>>> By the way, I've never entered this contest before so this is a "newbe"
>>> comment.  Just retired and now have time for contests so I'm trying to
>>> decide which ones to participate in ( I.e. The 160 meter ssb contest or
>>> yours)

>>> Thanks for your consideration.

>>> Rich

>>> W0elt

If there isn't a rule change, I guess I'll just have to make sure I've got the
"d" model at the station where I want to run this contest.  Seems like a lot of
work but I've done a lot more for 3db in a contest - even though I'm not a
contender for winning - it's all about the "fun factor" and starting with a
signal 3 db down isn't as much fun.  Of course I'd rather just use the standard
ft-2000 with my small amp to get 100 watts.

Rich
W0elt

Sent from my iPad