Re: [RTTY] GRITTY

To: "'David G3YYD'" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] GRITTY
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:31:54 -0700
This is an excellent and insightful evaluation.  I am also very interested
to see how GRITTY evolves.

However, after thousands of (mostly) contest QSOs, I have seen many
instances of each of the following cases, using multiple decoders on the
same audio stream:

1.  2Tone prints clearly when MMTTY and the DXP38 show random or no
characters.

2.  MMTTY prints clearly when 2Tone and the DXP38 show random or no
characters.

3.  The DXP38 prints clearly when 2Tone and MMTTY show random or no
characters.

In my first few hours of using 2Tone, I naively concluded that it was
"superior" to MMTTY and the other decoders.  Indeed it was superior for the
specific band and signal conditions I was experiencing at the time.  Some of
those experiences were cases where there was no audible signal in my
headphones and there was no visible signal on the P3, but the call sign of a
station answering my CQ was printing multiple times, perfectly.  I sent my
exchange and received a perfectly printed exchange, again without audible or
visible evidence of a signal.  That, in itself, was so "other worldly" that
I had to conclude 2Tone was superior!

Then, after encountering a wider variety of band and signal and activity
conditions, I had to conclude that each decoder is superior in certain
specific situations.  The value of using multiple, different and parallel
decoders is clear.  Perhaps GRITTY will become an additional valuable
decoder.

Ed W0YK