Re: [RTTY] RTTY popularity in Italy?

To: ed@w0yk.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY popularity in Italy?
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 14:00:21 -0400
Might be a language problem?

Jerry W4UK

At 01:51 PM 5/10/2015, you wrote:
Unfortunately, a disproportionately small number of Italians, and Europeans
in general, responded to the recent RTTY Contesting Survey.

62 Germany responses
58 England responses
38 Italy responses

294 Europe responses
945 North America responses

Ed W0YK

Tim N3QE wrote:

In any RTTY event or contest on the air, I cannot help but notice that so
many of the RTTY big guns as well as many smaller guns, are Italians. There
are many of them and they are prolific and hugely successful.

Obviously the RTTY guys in Italy are doing something right. I get to see
for example the Volta contest organized out of Italy, and that's been going
on for almost 50 years now!, so obviously there's a long tradition of RTTY
in Italy. Are the Italians also doing a lot of grass-roots local club
promotion of RTTY?

One of my goals this summer is to beat the drum and get some better
participation by locals in RTTY events. Any tips on local RTTY organizing
I'd like to hear. I've made some personal visits to help some non-RTTY
contesters get on the air, and they've shown up for a couple contests, but
keeping them in the RTTY fold has been difficult.