Re: [RTTY] SPE 2K-FA Amplifier

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SPE 2K-FA Amplifier
From: Jim Sharp <jimsharp62@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:14:14 -0500
Bill,  I used my 2K-FA in the last RTTY Roundup running SO2R
My main amp (using run & S&P) for this event is my 87A with an external
exhaust fan. I run it full out 1500W

My "mult" running amp was the 2K and I ran it in "high power" - highest
voltage at 1200W throughout the test.
It ran in the 50C range with no problem.  I think I did this because if it
got too hot, it would auto-cutback to the Mid power
range (1000 W at a lower voltage) I think I ran it key down into a dummy to
prove this out.  And there is only a 1 db lower
output at 1200W. So it just sat there and called CQ test until someone
answered - so pretty high duty cycle. No problem.
I just didn't want to look over at the amp and see it had cut back and have
to make a change in drive or whatever.

That was basically at sea level in TX.  My other QTH is in CO at 8800 feet.
The 2K-FA and  my KPA500  both run hotter
because of the less dense air doing the cooling. Still no problem with the
2K-FA at 1200 W out at altitude. I think I may have
seen it hit 60 degrees C a couple of times. I plan to use the same setup at
my CO QTH this next RTTY RU.

Hope this helps,

73, Jim - W5AP

--