[RTTY] FW: SO2V with K3 and N1MM+

To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>, "N1MM Logger Plus Reflector" <N1MMLoggerPlus@yahoogroups.com>, <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] FW: SO2V with K3 and N1MM+
From: "James Setzler" <jms_k1sd@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 22:33:45 -0400
Greetings,

I’ve been doing SO2V for a while now (4-5 contests anyway).  I use a DB9 serial
cable from one of the desktop computer serial ports driving one W1AN FSK
Adapter and then into the K3 15pin ACC.  I have 3 DIs on VFOA (MMTTY and two
2Tone (Flat and Flutter)) and 2 on VFOB (SUB RX) (one each MMTTY and 2Tone).  I
CQ on VFOA with low sound volume and S&P on SUB RX (VFOB) with no volume – I
just watch the scope for a signal when tuning on B or use the band map to jump
to a spot.  I use the K3 A/B button to switch back and forth; some times it
works OK but many times not.  It’s rather awkward and prone to mistakes because
(for whatever reason) it’s not always a clean transfer between the VFOs with
N1MM in this configuration.  Hence my desire to get SO2V working as it is
intended to with N1MM.

With help from K3IU, K8UT, VE3KI, K5ND, N6XI, W1AN, and others from the
Elecraft, N1MM, and RTTY Reflectors I’ve gotten SO2V to work in AFSK cleanly
and predictably on the K3 with N1MM.  I’d prefer to use FSK (just ‘cause) but
I’ll do it with AFSK for now.

Some of the guys who use FSK simply combine the 3 needed lines from the 2
different com ports (from VFOA and VFOB) and feed their FSK adapter without any
isolation diodes and they report good results (K5ND esp.).  Some com ports seem
to be different from others.  K3IU reports the serial ports on his desktop have
problems with FSK.  But when using his Edgeport USB to serial adapter, all
works well.  Go figure.

I’ve a DB9 Y splitter coming that I’ll first try straight from the 2 serial
ports to the single W1AN FSK Adapter.  If that works: Fine.  If not, I’ll
install the diodes isolating the 2 com ports per K8UT’s article on his web page
from 2012 (I just happen to use the same Rosewill RC-301 serial card).  If any
issues continue, it’s full speed ahead with AFSK!

The SCC RTTY Contest is this Saturday 1200Z - 1200Z.  I’m going to get on and
practice.

Thanks again to all for the assistance.

    73 James K1SD